HeartCode ACLS (AHA) (Blended)
HeartCode ACLS is the AHA’s blended learning delivery method for the AHA’s ACLS Course. Blended learning is a combination of eLearning, in which a provider completes part of the course in a self-directed manner, followed by a hands-on session. The online portion of HeartCode ACLS is a self-directed, comprehensive eLearning program that uses eSimulation technology to allow providers to assess and treat patients in virtual healthcare settings. After completing the eLearning module, providers attend an in-person hands-on skills session that includes a team dynamic lesson, in-hospital patient cases, and megacode cases.
This is the hands-on session portion of HeartCode ACLS. The hands-on session is for skills practice and testing after the student has completed the eLearning online portion of HeartCode ACLS through the American Heart Association (AHA). Students who successfully complete the Heartcode ACLS online portion plus the hands-on session at CHES will receive an ACLS course completion card (eCard), valid for two years.
Upon successful completion of the online and hands-on session course, students will be able to
- Perform Basic life support skills, including effective chest compressions, use of a bag-mask device, and use of an AED
- Demonstrate recognition and early management of respiratory and cardiac arrest
- Demonstrate recognition and early management of peri-arrest conditions such as symptomatic bradycardia
- Provide effective airway management
- Understand related pharmacology
- Demonstrate effective management of ACS and stroke
- Demonstrate effective communication as a member and leader of a resuscitation team
HOW TO TAKE THIS COURSE:
1) Reserve your spot (see available dates below) for a hands-on skills session at CHES by registering on this site (cost $100)
2) Prior to your hands-on skills session, complete the HeartCode ACLS eLearning module (approximate time of course is 7.5 hours) through the AHA (cost $158 paid directly to Online AHA), found here: https://shopcpr.heart.org/heartcode-acls
3) Bring your certificate of completion of the online portion to your hands-on skills session at CHES
The resuscitation scenarios require that your BLS skills and knowledge are current.
- You will be tested on 1-rescuer and 2-rescuer adult CPR and AED skills at the beginning of the hands-on session. You will not be taught how to do CPR or how to use an AED during the course. You must know this in advance.
- Review and understand all AHA BLS guidelines. You can find this information in the BLS for Healthcare Providers Student Manual or in other publications based on AHA Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (see www.heart.org/cpr).
- If you are required to have a separate BLS provider certification for employment or other reasons, please contact CHES for instructions on completing HeartCode BLS (blended course) - taking the classroom part on-line and finishing with the hands-on skills session on the same day that you complete the ACLS course).
Questions? Please email us at CHES@edgewood.edu or call us at (608) 227-2292.